**Course Title: Location and Avoidance of Underground Services – **Unit LA of New Roads and Street Works
SQA certified - Operatives and Supervisors
Intended for operatives and/or supervisors involved in road and streetworks.
The course will cover all areas of the New Roads & Streetworks Act for Location & Avoidance of Underground Services. Combining teaching with practical assessment delegates will undertake recognised training and assessment.
A suitable location where the candidate can demonstrate competence locating a range of services, either on or off site.
Cable locator (signal generator optional) and Utility plans to include BT, Gas, Water and Electric cables.
A minimum of three services to locate and trace, i.e. BT, Gas, Water and Electric cables.
A range of services for the candidate to identify, both damaged and undamaged. This range should include all mentioned in the standards as well as the more modern ones.
The candidate must be able to:
· Interpret the utility plans and point out on the ground where the services are and interpret the symbols on the plans.
· Recognise a range of services commonly found when carrying out excavations.
· Identify the risks of damage to services and the implications of such damage to Gas, Water and Electricity.
· Use cable location equipment to find and trace underground services. (At least three to include BT and Electric cables).
· Describe the services that cannot be found with conventional cable location equipment.
· Conduct the activities safely.
· Provide sufficient knowledge evidence by way of oral or written questions.